Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Freshwater Fishing Sponsored by KayakBassFishing.com: Freshwater Streams, Lakes, and Rivers are made for Kayak Fishing!

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:19 AM

I went crappie fishing from my yak Saturday between Christmas and New Years. Ended up with a dozen between 10-12 inches in about 2 1/2 hours. Nothing great, but my first trip for crappie with the kayak, so I was pleased.

Mainly posting for you snowbound guys up north. We're due some crappy weather (as opposed to crappie weather) tomorrow, but when you get a nice day in winter to get out, you take it.

With the addition of white crappie to my list, I've now caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, Spotted bass, Channel cat, white crappie, striped bass, white bass, yellow bass, bluegill, and redeye from the kayak since I started last May. Still working on walleye, sauger, shell crackers, black crappie, rainbow, brown trout, and brook trout. Lots to work on... This is a blast.

Deputy Associate-Poobah, ETKFA
(Motto - No Standards, No Rules, No Dues, No Benefits).
Old 12-31-2007, 05:19 AM

I went crappie fishing from my yak Saturday between Christmas and New Years. Ended up with a dozen between 10-12 inches in about 2 1/2 hours. Nothing great, but my first trip for crappie with the kayak, so I was pleased.

Mainly posting for you snowbound guys up north. We're due some crappy weather (as opposed to crappie weather) tomorrow, but when you get a nice day in winter to get out, you take it.

With the addition of white crappie to my list, I've now caught largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, Spotted bass, Channel cat, white crappie, striped bass, white bass, yellow bass, bluegill, and redeye from the kayak since I started last May. Still working on walleye, sauger, shell crackers, black crappie, rainbow, brown trout, and brook trout. Lots to work on... This is a blast.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 AM

TUS,

Nice crappie! Did you pull it out of the brush? By the side patterning, it looks like that may be a black crappie. I believe the whites have a barring along their sides, while the blacks have a speckled pattern. Up here, we fish our black crappie on deep weedlines in lakes and around wood in slow rivers. Both the lighter "specks" and the dark variant tend to mix. But I'm in the Great Lakes area of the Midwest and not "crappie central" like you in Tenn.

How do you like using Crocs with your stockingfoot waders? I've always thought they were a little funny, but they look like they may work. How did you size them to fit over your neoprene booties?

RS
Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 AM

have you ever fished Melton hill for stripers ?trade a trip from charlestonfishing.com
Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Hey Rick,

I caught all my fish on brushy laydowns along an old creek channel, but no current in this area (reservoir). It is a white crappie here... our black crappie are fairly rare and a lot darker.

I just jammed my feet in the crocs Didn't want to fool with my wading boots. But when I stepped on the boat ramp where I launched, I hit some slick mud and slid all the way to the end of the ramp, about hip deep. I may get a larger size for this and put a strip of tape or cloth on the soles. these are good for putting on when you take the waders off. Great at the beach, too. I wear wading sandals or boots if I am going to be walking in the water, but I hadn't planned to.

Murray, I don't fish for stripers much, but this time of year, I know where to fish and how for the monsters. It's no secret. I think the previous world record a few years ago was caught off the bank (at least, several in that 60 lb class were). PM me if you want details.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM

why pm ...it's not like there a bunch of people on this board ! ....and I won't be driving up there tommorow to get all the stripes...I think it would be more benificial to our sport if we keep things public
Old 01-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Okay... go to Bull Run Steam Plant between Oak Ridge and Knoxville and fish a huge live shad (12"-18") in the discharge on the coldest day you can find. At that point, it is just a matter of putting in time.

It is becoming a good place to catch muskies as well. Again, so goes the story here.

Melton Hill is a cold lake with a big influence from the tailwaters of Norris Lake that are about 50 degrees even in the hottest part of summer (a pretty good trout tailwater). The steam plant discharge is warmer than the main channel and draws tons of baitfish, and with them, big stripers. Stripers are not actually stocked in MH, but the hatchery is there, and they release their big brood stock there. Eventually, many find their way to that area to feed on shad.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Wow !! ...that sounds like a trip I can't resist ...Is one part of the year better than another? ...would you be willing to guide ?
Old 01-01-2008, 03:06 PM

also ...I just got a 8 wght fly rod and am learnig to cast it ...would I have a chance up there with this ?
Old 01-01-2008, 03:57 PM

The striper fishing in the area I was talking about is definitely a Jan Feb thing, maybe March. It is dependant on having cold water which forces the shad into the warmer water. At least, that is what I understand.

The flyrod might work, and a big streamer has potential, but live bait is the ticket for the biggest ones. The flyrod and a Clouser would certainly be a good option for catching the shad that are used for bait.

Big jigs and crankbaits do catch some fish, so I guess a big streamer could work. but they are not stacked in there like cordwood, so you might be handicapping yourself. Even on live baits, it might be hours between strikes.

I can't say I would guide, because I don't fish that myself. It can be spotty, certainly not a sure thing. But if we can work out schedules, I'd be glad to go along and try it with you.

Like I say, it is bank fishable, and during the cold times (which we haven't had a lot of in the last couple of years), folks will fish live shad and cut shad from the bank, so a boat isn't completely necessary. Also, you can take a propane heater if you bank fish. I think you could get a yak in there with either some significant hauling or a half mile or so of paddling.

During the warm months, there is an area upstream where I see people fish for stripers. Basically it is the lower reaches of the good trout water, that accounts for the pictures in the link you posted. You can fish with trout in Tennessee, but you can still only catch one limit to use as bait (7 fish).

I could put you in the area, but you'd have to figure them out. I'm not a striper guy by any stretch of the imagination.

There are folks who know a lot more than I do about this. But if you want to try it, I can get you on the water and we could learn together. I've been wanting to try that, but just haven't made the time.

Closed Thread

Tags
crappie, kayak, tennessee