Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Kayak Sailing

Kayak Sailing Description - Learn how to use the wind to get you to your favorite fishing hole.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

ok ive heard the stories i wish i had an adventure island but they are quite a bit of money so when i get my kayak i would like to install a sail kit i would rather make one but i dont mind buying one. and i would like pics with it
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM

ok ive heard the stories i wish i had an adventure island but they are quite a bit of money so when i get my kayak i would like to install a sail kit i would rather make one but i dont mind buying one. and i would like pics with it
Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Try this. I'm making one this year for my Adventure:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grant.../Hintssail.htm

JJ
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 AM

hmmmm..... i dont know it looks as if the sail is stationary and you cant turn it to the side it just sits straight..........
Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 PM

That's because it's essentially a downwind sail.

You need to search google using sails, and tyvek . Then look at some other mfgs that provide kayak sails and dupe the design you think you can make with tyvek.

The below is typical.

http://www.messing-about.com/weekender/sails.html
Old 03-11-2008, 01:15 AM

The picture is a poly sail I copied from a Balogh sail and made this winter. I haven't tried it yet. Some poly sail are just taped together but I also sewed this one. I also made an aluminum 4 piece stacked together mast, also copied after the Balogh mast.

John
Old 03-15-2008, 06:43 AM

I wrote this little article on some of the best and most affordable choices for kayak sails awhile ago:

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/S...kSailing2.html

Maybe, it will give you some ideas, either for making your own sail or buying a sail.

Since I wrote the article, I've purchased the EasyRider sail and added it to my PA sails. I have also added a leeboard. The write-up on my new setup will appear on the same site (as above) in April.

I would have to disagree with AlohaDan that the PA sail is just or even mostly a downwind sail. I've always sailed it mostly on a beam reach (90 degrees to the wind) and with my leeboard it even goes slightly upwind.

The nice thing about the PA sail is that it can go BOTH across the wind and downwind. Other sails, like the EasyRider spinnaker and 20-foot Hobie sail, are good across the wind and to some extent even upwind, but are no good dead downwind. You need to tack back and forth on a broad reach, which is of course fine and a lot of fun too. But still, sometimes sailing directly downwind is the way to go, if only because you can take best surf the swells that way - a fun and fast ride.

So, for a first sail, I think it's hard to wrong with a PA sail. You can't beat the cost, safety and simplicity of that setup. If you ever go that route, I strongly recommend the larger size PA sail. though, the 1.5m. The 1m sail is designed for SINKs, and on the average SOT doesn't provide much power until the wind blows 15+ mph. I actually think that this may be one of the main reasons why some people aren't that enthused with the PA sail - their sail size - or the sail size of others they get their information from - is simply too small. The other reason is almost certainly that people think and are told that the PA sail is only a downwind sail. Not so.

For some performance-related information on the PA sail, check out this link:

http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/S...ActionSail.htm

I hope this helps get you started.

Robert
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 PM

I made and regularly use a sail just like the nz post. It is a great little sail and it pushes my OK prowler pretty well. It shifts alot, but the flexibility means I can run off wind a bit.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bassyakie:
ok ive heard the stories i wish i had an adventure island but they are quite a bit of money so when i get my kayak i would like to install a sail kit i would rather make one but i dont mind buying one. and i would like pics with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have used both sizes of the spirit sail. Which model kayak you get will lend it self to the mounting. Across and downwind seem to be what we all seek the two sizes are needed cause you will get dumped..just a matter of time. If you allow the larger sail up with-out the spilling of wind as designed it may crack at a bolt hole as mine did. You tend to hold the ropes and twist the sail to catch all the wind possible. If you are spending 1000$ you may wish to hold out for the AI. I have 4 small boats with interchangable sails and motors. Wish I just got the AI cause the sail is pretty good most of the time.The shorter boat is the exception for river use. As said many times no one boat will meet all requirments. Nhoj's rig looks great..if it is attached at the hull location it will be stable and outriggers required. Keep searching internet you wiil be suprised at the options that show up.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 AM

Poly Tarp Sails. The jib sail design was found at Poly Sails International and I cut the sizes down by about a third. I bought my poly kit there for $64 plus shipping and had enough tarp to get my two sails out of. Besides taping my as per instructions I also sewed them.

This was my second shakedown cruse in the last two weeks, and I added my roller reefing poly tarp jib that now makes my total sail area approximately 60 sq ft with the added jib plus the main. I tried it out yesterday in winds ranging from 10 to 20 with gust to 25 mph. I was really happy with the results as compared to the terrible blue poly sail setup I had last year. I put considerable rounding on the leach and foot plus two darts that made a lot of camber belly in the jib. I thought I had too much belly until I tried it out on the water and it seemed just right. I had been concerned about the Folbot ama pontoons digging into waves but found out I had them on backwards. Installed correctly they kept their front nose high out of the water and the harder I pushed the boat the higher the amas lifted the front nose. I tried to see just how far I could drive the ama under water in some strong winds. The ama tilted up about 45 degrees and I drove the back of the ama under water enough to flow water over the aka cross bar, but that still left more then half of the ama pontoon above water. So I feel the Folbot amas are pretty safe and can take a lot.

I was hoping the boat could sail 40 degrees off the wind but it really surprised me. I would bring the boat directly into the wind, check my compass and veer off. I can sail 30 degrees off wind. I checked this several times to allow for wind shift but it was always the same. This has to be the combination of the jib, the foil shaped long leeboard and the large foil shaped rudder. I had good speed on the water with the poly sails, and the price can't be beat. My home built 14 foot four piece stackable mast is strong and easy to put up and store away.

John
Closed Thread

Tags
cheepest, kayak, sailor