Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:59 PM

While I'm wiating for my new P15 I'm able to ponder...what else-outfitting!
Since I'm getting the Plano box and don't need the storage of a milk crate, I'm thinking that I'll use the rest of the TW for an ice chest. Anyone out there installed rod holders to the sides of their ice chest with good results?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:59 PM

While I'm wiating for my new P15 I'm able to ponder...what else-outfitting!
Since I'm getting the Plano box and don't need the storage of a milk crate, I'm thinking that I'll use the rest of the TW for an ice chest. Anyone out there installed rod holders to the sides of their ice chest with good results?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:34 AM

When you figure out how you want to do it, come on over. The shop is ready.

What kind of rod holders are you thinking about?

Homemade PVC? Manufactured PVC? Or are you goin with the Scotty's?

If you want to go with the Scotty's I have some heavy guage angled aluminum stock that we could fashion some cutom brackets from much like I did on my crate.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks Yak. I was thinking pvc mounts to the side of a hard plastic cooler. I'm going to experiment for awhile, then decide. I don't want to go with a platic cooler if it is going to act like a sail in the slightest breeze.

I'd like to see that shop though-kind of like some mad scientists den I bet.....
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM

Try looking at the one on the www.texaskayakfisherman.com site under rigging.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 AM

Kingfish, while you're awaiting your p15's arrival (I have one too - with an 8 inch hatch), might I suggest that you check out putting a pully system in the yak. I wish I had thought of it several years ago for my other yaks, especially my SPTW and my Zest Two , but I just found out about last spring. It makes stuff stored internally so much more accessible, and it gives you options that you would have never thought about. There are several posts on this site concerning a pully system that I think are very good. Respectfully, Prowlerguy sends
Old 03-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Here's what I did, I took a Coleman 18 quart cooler (hard) made it into a live well/cooler, installed one scotty rod mount (could have done more) for light pole etc., for all the holes I have plugs if I need to use it as a cooler. Here's couple of pictures.

You can see the Scotty mount on top of the pilge pump cradle. I used Marine goop and rivets and it has stayed on pretty good.

Here is a pic. of the inside, the spray nozzle is pointed back when the lid is closed, so it points down when opened thus not spraying me all wet. The two out-flows, one on the bottom to emty the whole thing and one on top to keep it from over-flowing.

Olli

Tags
chest, holders