Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 PM
reelfinatic68

Default I need advice

I'm looking to get my first Sit-On-Top and not sure what to do. I have a budget and would like to stay around $600. Not sure if I should get something like the Field And Stream yak at Dick's for around $549.99 that has everything I'll need for now (but can't fit a milk crate)...or spend the money and get a Perception Pescadore and rig it for fishing over time as I get money.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

First you should try out as many yaks as you can and see what you like. Then start checking craigslist for used ones. Evrybody will tell you that their kayak is great and I am no exception, I have a 14' WS Tarpon and I love it. But it may not fit your style. There are probably plenty of shops that will let you demo their stuff and probable just as many guys on this site that would let you try out their rigs. I would let you try mine but I don't think you want to drive to Ohio.
Also if you buy new get a plane kayak with out the rod holders on it and that will save you some money and you will be able to put evrything right where you want it.
The only other thing I would say is that the off brand, box store kayaks generally have thinner plastic hulls on them and are not as strong.
good luck and TightLinz
Glenn
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM

Lots of good info on the Pescadore on this site. Do a search above to browse. People say it is a remake of the older WS tarpon 120's which were / are amazing yaks. So if it were me I would definitely go for the proven platform that veterans have been using and loving for years.

But, as George smartly said, look at the used stuff online for great deals (possibly even all rigged out) and try to test as much as you can. Good advice there.

Here is an example of a thread in the search results for Pescadore. Good luck and hope to meet on the water one day

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/com...ight=Pescadore
Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

another good option is to pick up a quality name brand used SOT, you should find quite a few in that price range with a little effort.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
reelfinatic68

Thanx guys! As of right now I am considering the Perception Pescadore. I am going to Paddlesport on Saturday and will look around. I have been watching craigs list but haven't really seen anything. Oh well, I 'll keep looking.

Tags
advice