Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
65Strad

Default Big Gulp bait, for big fluke? How big is too big?

I've been using Gulp baits for the first time this year. Swimming mullet's in chartreuse. It seems as though those small bags don't have much of the liquid in them, which makes them pretty expensive vs. the 21.4 oz. oval container, particular if the liquid/scent/attractant is an essential component on the bait's effectiveness $6.99 vs. $19.99 retail.

I bought a large 6" Gulp Alive swimming mullet in Pearl White primarily because they came in a large 21.4 oz container with lots of the liquid attractant. I have a few questions for those of you that have been successful using the Gulp baits for fluke.

QUESTION 1.

I was thinking of trying one of those monster 6" baits on a 1-1/2 oz bucktail spro, and the smaller 3" chartreuse regular Gulp Swimming mullet's on a top teaser bucktail. Anyone ever use this size comination with any success or is that size just too much for fluke? Big bait, big fish, any truth to that?

Question 2.

I figured since the liquid attractant is for saltwater swimming mullet, I can recharge the small ones with the stuff too since there is so much of it. Anyone know how long a bait can be used before it loses it's effectiveness before it needs to be recharged with the liquid/scent/attractant?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
abraves4410

1. ive seen many a guy fish the 6'' and a 3'' or 4'' teaser on the few party boat trips ive made. a larger fluke, 20+ inches, will easily devour a 6'' gulp, so i wouldnt be concerned with that. the issue i see is getting a smaller bucktail, like the 1 1/2 oz you mentioned, to sit well on the gulp and have the hook far enough back to avoid missing bites.

2. i had all of my gulp fluid spill out on me and have been fishing it without recharging at all, and it still catches a ton of fish, so im not convinced the fluid is be all end all. either way, i wouldnt fret over a time limit on it. if you are really concerned, just swap em out or dunk after every other drift or something like that. fluke drifts should be nice and quick generally, so you shouldnt have an issue with not having scent
Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Jon I

Question 1 - No doubt. I've caught my biggest fluke (and many other big ones) on a 6 inch gulp on a 2 oz spro. I've used the 6 inch gulp as a teaser on this rig too with success.

Question 2 - I'd like to hear thoughts on this too 'cause I'm really not sure. I commonly swap out a new one when I'm not getting hit just to rule out that it's not because I don't have a fresh one.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM

The 6" are great like Jon said. I usually put a 4" on a dropper above. The 6 is fine 1-1.5 bucktails too. They came out with a 5" this year too. It is bulky like the 6" and should still help pick through smaller fish.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 PM
rubone47

The six inch grubs are the key for big fluke on your dropper as far as your bucktail size I go heavier then i need .I dont know why people say go lite as you can to me it makes no sense . You are jigging that bucktail so a little heavier gets it down there quicker and holds the bottom better. I find that i get more hits with the 6 inch but the smaller fluke cant get it down so quick and not wasting my time with shorts. So when they hit it and you lift up on your pole to set the hook it pulls right out of there mouth and your back to jigging for that keeper.
You can buy bottles of gulp liquid in walmart for about 5 bucks.I fish the gulp for a couple of hours before i switch it out for another and I resoak the old one.

P.S. DO YOUR OWN TEST USE THE 6 INCH GRUB ON ONE POLE AND THE SMALLER MULLET ON THE OTHER AND SEE WHICH ONE GETS HIT ON MORE (BOTH ON DROPPER)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 PM
65Strad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubone47 View Post
The six inch grubs are the key for big fluke on your dropper as far as your bucktail size I go heavier then i need .I dont know why people say go lite as you can to me it makes no sense . You are jigging that bucktail so a little heavier gets it down there quicker and holds the bottom better. I find that i get more hits with the 6 inch but the smaller fluke cant get it down so quick and not wasting my time with shorts. So when they hit it and you lift up on your pole to set the hook it pulls right out of there mouth and your back to jigging for that keeper.
You can buy bottles of gulp liquid in walmart for about 5 bucks.I fish the gulp for a couple of hours before i switch it out for another and I resoak the old one.

P.S. DO YOUR OWN TEST USE THE 6 INCH GRUB ON ONE POLE AND THE SMALLER MULLET ON THE OTHER AND SEE WHICH ONE GETS HIT ON MORE (BOTH ON DROPPER)
Do you mean a 6" grub or a 6" mullet?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
rubone47

Grub I cant speak about the 6 inch mullet I also use the 4inch mullet but I am seeing that the 6 inch grup out fishes the 4 inch mullet almost all the time. I all mostly fish with 2 poles and use different baits or lures on my poles . Since with fluke Im jigging one rod and dead sticking the other. It seems that the fluke no matter how small they are go for that 6 inch . So i mostly jig with 6inch but even when Im resting my jigging rod and drifting it or dead sticking it they hit it all the time.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM

I find the new softer gulp this year doesn't need recharge. I say this because it doesn't last very long.The tails get bit off real easy. The old gulp would last through 1 to 2 dozen or more fish.You could recharge it and continue to catch more fish.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM
65Strad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ1 View Post
I find the new softer gulp this year doesn't need recharge. I say this because it doesn't last very long.The tails get bit off real easy. The old gulp would last through 1 to 2 dozen or more fish.You could recharge it and continue to catch more fish.
What size gulp are you referring to? I have'nt tried the 6" yet, but the smaller ones in the bags seem to hold up pretty well, maybe they were made last year?

New softer gulp? Maybe an evil business strategy to increase sales through a faster attrition rate! Actually, not a bad idea if you are the seller.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM

yea, i noticed the new pink is SUPER soft. one or two small fish and its just about done..sucks. however, the chartreuse seems to be just as tough. i almost only use the 5" mullet (at dicks only i believe), 6" , mullet and 6" grub. the 6" grub on a bucktail is real good.

Tags
bait, fluke, gulp